US Military Retiree Association of Southern Italy (USMRA-SI)

Italian National Health Service

Daily Planner
VFW - Veterans of Foreign Wars
VA - Veterans Administration
U.S. Mission to Italy
Local Area Information
Military Health Care
Italian National Health Service
Dental Care
Casualty Assistance
Dual Nationality
Driving in Italy


Minister of Health Circular #5 of 24 March 2000

Italian Law #40 of 6 March 1998 (Art. 32), requires foreigners who legally reside in Italy with a Permesso di Soggiorno for work or family reasons to enroll in the Italian National Health Service and pay an enrollment fee.

Voluntary Enrollment: Foreigners with a Permesso di Soggiorno who are in the country for reasons other than the above, i.e., university study, etc.. must pay an annual fee.

To enroll, go in person with your Permesso di Soggiorno and passport to the local ASL (Assistenza Sanitaria Locale) administration office in the comune where you legally reside.


2007 Italian National Health Care for Foreigners in Italy

Assistenza Sanitaria per Stranieri in Italia